Practical ways to live better on less.
I am all for natural home remedies for various ailments including headaches. I would rather solve the problem myself than resort to headache medicine, which often contains caffeine. There are plenty of cheap, natural fixes for headaches, in addition to strategies for preventing future occurrences. Being on the computer most of the week, I have tried every trick in the book. Here are a few of my favorite budget friendly techniques for stopping an oncoming headache.
1. Give yourself a scalp and neck/shoulder massage. Many headaches stem from tight neck and shoulder muscles, therefore, a little pressure in the form of a massage will help get the kinks out and relieve tension headaches.
2. Get off the computer – Taking a break every 30 minutes or so will give your eyes and body a break, which often become tense and worn out after hours of staring at the screen. Hours on the computer with no break can lead to intense headaches. Also, make sure to set up your work station ergonomically to reduce strain.
3. Relax with a warm washcloth over your eyes – Soak a small towel in hot water, then relax with it over your eyes for several minutes. This helps relieve tension and works really well for clearing sinus pressure.
4. Do a yoga or meditation session – Often headaches are caused by too much stress and anxiety. Taking a break for a yoga or meditation session will help calm you, clear your mind, and boost your mood. Plus, the various stretches will release tight muscles, which could also be the cause of your headache.
5. Drink ginger tea – Boil some hot water and add a few pieces of fresh ginger. The ginger can help clear inflammation in the body, thus reducing your headache.
6. Take a warm bath – The therapeutic heat can diminish headaches caused by tension built up throughout the day. I like to add a little Epsom Salt to help my muscles relax.
7. Listen to soothing music – When I feel a headache coming on after a stressful day, I turn on the relaxing spa music. This helps me get into a more relaxed state of mind, and thus, I tend to worry about problems a bit less. It really helps!
8. Inhale steam – The warm steam will help clear out any congestion and relieve tension. Adding stress relieving essential oils such as chamomile will magnify the benefits.
9. Take a nature walk – Getting outside into the sunshine and breathing the fresh air works wonders for improving a headache. The stress relief combined with the increased circulation from the exercise is a winning combination.
10.Take a power nap – I find that taking a short 20 minute or so nap during the day can leave you feeling refreshed, especially after a stressful day. It is better to take a short break in order to prevent migraine and headache flare ups.
What are your favorite natural remedies for headaches? Share your best advice!