Practical ways to live better on less.
Apple cider vinegar is one of the most affordable natural remedies in the world. This amazing product can be used for almost anything. Over the years, apple cider vinegar has been used to treat/help various medical conditions such as colds, sinus congestion, acid reflux, and more.
It also works well in the beauty department for hair, skin, and nails. Apple cider vinegar contains beneficial antioxidants, minerals, and also contains anti fungal and antibacterial properties. I always purchase Bragg’s or Eden Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, because they are both unfiltered and include the “mother.” You can purchase either at Whole Foods for only a few dollars. Take a look at my 10 favorite ways to use apple cider vinegar!
1. Make a detox drink – Mix 1 or tsp of apple cider vinegar with warm spring water. You can also add a tsp or 2 of honey if you want to sweeten up the flavor, however, I prefer to drink it plain. I use warm water because it is better for your digestion. This is a great remedy for safe, gentle, overall body detoxification. It also helps prevent heartburn when taken before a hefty meal.
2. Use as a facial toner – Apple cider vinegar works well as a natural, budget friendly face toner. Because of its’ antibacterial properties, it can reduce both acne and inflammation in the skin. I have also used it as a natural remedy for facial redness/rosacea. It has calmed down my facial redness a bit over time. Make sure to dilute a mixture of 3 part water/1 part ACV and don’t put the solution anywhere near your eyes!
3. Relieve sinus congestion – If you are looking for safe, natural congestion relief due to colds/flu or allergies, then look no further than apple cider vinegar. This is a great alternative to costly medicine with none of the side effects. An apple cider vinegar drink can help to thin out mucus and relieve a stuffy nose and nasal congestion. Sometimes, I can feel my sinuses draining immediately after drinking the ACV mixture.
4. Heartburn relief – It seems silly to think that an acid would help to relieve heartburn and indigestion. However, the ACV actually works to increase the level of stomach acids, which is usually low in people with GERD or acid reflux disease.
5. A soothing pain relieving bath – A bath with 1/2 cup -1 cup of ACV will help to soothe sore joints and muscles, either from exercise, repetitive use, or arthritis. The enzymes in the vinegar act as a natural anti inflammatory. Other benefits of this bath include overall detoxification and better looking skin! The smell is a bit strong, but you get used to it over time.
6. Use after shampooing to clarify hair – Apply a diluted ACV mixture after shampooing your hair to help remove buildup from styling products and shampoos. It will also leave your hair looking shiner and healthier.
7. Use as a natural cold remedy – I find that drinking hot drinks, especially ACV, during a cold helps to shorten the duration. The ACV will reduce the severity of your symptoms by breaking up the mucus, soothing a sore throat, and relieving congestion.
8. A natural energy booster – If you are feeling sluggish, an ACV mixture will help give you a boost of energy. It is a great replacement for coffee in the morning or any other time of the day that you need a pickup. I still drink coffee in the morning, however, I usually have an apple cider drink in the afternoon to prevent a mid day slump.
9. Works wonders as a natural cleaner – ACV is great for cleaning because of the anti bacterial properties, anti fungal, and anti viral properties. You can make a cleaner in any spray bottle by combining 2 parts of water to 1 part AVC. You now have yourself a cheap, effective spray with no harsh chemicals!
10. Great to drink after a workout – Because it makes the body heal faster, ACV is a great natural remedy after an intense workout. The amino acids and potassium will help you to recover after a workout, and especially help with lactic acid buildup. If you are feeling sore from heavy lifting or run down after a lengthy cardio workout, then mix yourself up an apple cider vinegar drink!
Have you used apple cider vinegar for any of the following purposes? What are your favorite uses for apple cider vinegar?