Practical ways to live better on less.
If you haven’t started shopping at Trader Joe’s, now is the time to start! Trader Joe’s offers healthy, affordable products at reasonable prices. Many of their products are organic. All of Trader Joe’s label products contain no artificial colors, flavors, MSG, GMO’s, or partially hydrogenated oils!
You pay cheaper prices in exchange for no big brand label. Check out my handy shopping guide for your next (or first) visit.
10 best items to buy at Trader Joe’s
1. Vegetarian Burritos – These mildly spiced burritos found in the frozen aisle are absolutely fantastic. I tend to avoid frozen meals in favor of home cooked meals, however, these are a great option for those times you don’t feel like cooking. A great blend of organic vegetables and spices! These make the perfect “no time to cook dinner.” I make these with a side of blue corn tortilla chips/salsa and I’m ready to go!
2. Green Lentils – At $2 a bag, these come in handy as a perfect budget friendly soup recipe or side dish. Lentils contain healthy fiber, protein, and antioxidants.
3. Organic Tri-Color Quinoa – Absolutely delicious and affordable at under $5. I make a great recipe using Quinoa and vegetables everyday for lunch. Check out my Spicy Quinoa Vegetable Mix recipe.
4. Organic bagged salad – I have never had a problem with any variety of Trader Joe’s salad: every bag has been fresh and lasted well past the best by date. My favorite blend is definitely the “Power to the Greens,” a combo of kale, chard, and spinach! Great way to get some healthy Kale in without the horrible aftertaste!
5. Blue corn tortilla chips – Blue Corn chips are much healthier than traditional tortilla chips, plus they are GMO free. I love this thin, crispy variety sold at Trader Joe’s! I never leave the store without my bag! These chips are crispy, yet they don’t break apart easily when dipping; definitely a perfect combo!
6. Organic French Roast Coffee – I was hesitant at first to purchase coffee at Trader Joe’s, however, the French roast is deliciously rich and smooth. I have it every morning! Not the best coffee in the world, but fantastic for the taste & price.
7. Hummus Quartet – Lots of great varieties of hummus await you at Trader Joe’s. I love the 4 pack combo; you can try out roasted red pepper, garlic, original, and parsley scallion. I love being able to switch off between multiple flavors without buying 2 or 3 separate packs!
8. Beauty products – Trader Joe’s sells fantastic affordable beauty products. My favorite is the Total Antioxidant serum and moisturizer. Both work as well as the more pricey brands. During the fall months, they sell a delicious pumpkin scented body butter. Another treat: the 3 pack scented epsom salt (green tea, lavender, chamomile) holiday gift set.
9. Multigrain and Flaxseed Water Crackers – These crackers are crispy, yet don’t break, making them the perfect cracker for hummus, cheese, and other dips.
10. Artichoke and Hearts of Palm salad – Excellent green salad complete with romaine, hearts of palm, toasted almonds, and artichoke in a creamy red wine raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Sometimes, I eat this as a quick lunch on days I do not feel like preparing a salad.
Don’t miss out on these other great finds!
Roasted Vegetable Multi-Grain Lasagna – This lasagna is almost as good as homemade. Plenty of vegetables and no meat make it the perfect choice for vegetarians. The multi grain noodles make this lasagna a good choice for the health conscious.
Organic Frozen vegetables – Excellent prices on organic frozen vegetables (about $2 a bag). I love the peas, asparagus, and green beans!
Rice Noodle Bowls – These Thai bowls come in a few different flavors including spring onion, garlic, and mushroom. All you have to do is bowl some water and you have yourself a quick and tasty 99 cent lunch!
Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Coconut Oil – Great prices on the organic and non-organic versions of both of these items.
Spices – Trader Joe’s offers extremely cheap prices on organic spices. The 21 Seasoning Salute is my favorite. I use this tasty spice medley on everything! So much easier that trying to use dozens of individual spices.
Supplements – The supplements here are even cheaper than ordering online from discount retailers like I-herb and Swanson. One drawback: they don’t always carry everything I need so I pick up what’s available and leave the rest to my online shopping list.
Pumpkin Muffin Mix (seasonal) – Too bad this muffin mix is seasonal. I love everything pumpkin flavored. I wait all year for Trader Joe’s to release this perfect fall treat!
Organic Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper soup – Perhaps the best tomato soup I have ever had – not bland like many, but not too spicy either. Perfect on a cold winter night!
Organic popcorn – Only $2 for a decent sized bag. Plus it’s organic! I don’t think I have ever seen organic popcorn in an ordinary supermarket!
Do you shop regularly at Trader Joe’s? What are your must-have products?