Practical ways to live better on less.
You don’t need to sign up for an expensive gym membership to stay healthy and fit! There are plenty of free and cheap exercises that you can do at home. Take a look at some of my favorite budget exercises you can do at home!
1. Jump rope – Jumping rope is one of the best cardiovascular activities. It really gets your heart pumping and it won’t cost more than a few dollars.
2. Make your own weights – You can use items around your house, such as milk cartons and canned goods as hand weights. Or, you can buy a pair of dumbbells (check thrift shops if you are trying to save money). Lunges and squats holding weights is one of the best ways to tone your entire lower body.
3. Search the TV Guide for exercise programs – You are bound to find great cardio and yoga routines on the fitness channels. If you don’t have the channels, see if a friend does and you can workout together.
4. Borrow fitness magazines from your library – Fitness magazines like Shape, Self, Runner’s World, etc. often offer articles on easy do at home exercises, which target trouble areas of your body. You can check these magazines out from your library for free instead of wasting money on a one time read – just copy anything you need for the exercises! You may also want to check their websites for additional tips.
5. Use a free personal training program – Runner’s World has a great free app called “Smart Coach” in which you can challenge yourself by setting up a fitness program based on your current level. Visit the Runner’s World website to download the app. No need to pay for a personal trainer when there are so many free customized programs available.
6. Take a run or jog outside – Jogging outside is much cheaper than paying to use a gym treadmill, more scenic, and more refreshing. If it is too hot by you, try exercising early in the morning or late at night. Find a shady forest trail or park path in your town.
7. Get out your bike – Find free bike paths around town. I would much rather ride a paved bike path with nice scenery than a stationary bike at the gym! A beautiful setting is more motivating than staring at a TV or wall at a gym.
8. Search for free workout routines online – You can find free routines on You Tube. You can also find free videos on magazine, fitness, and TV network sites; just do a search online and you are bound to find 1000’s of free home exercise videos.
9. Practice Plyometrics – These exercises involve fast jumping type movements which work all your muscles in a short period of time. Women’s Health has a great how-to onfor first timers.
10. Leave your car at home – Walk/bike/jog around town instead of always relying on your car. You will get more exercise in each day and also save yourself hundreds of dollars in gas each year.
What are your favorite at home exercises? Would you rather pay for a gym membership or take your exercise outdoors? Sound off in the comments below!