Practical ways to live better on less.
Baking soda can be purchased for under $1,yet works wonders in many different situations. I always keep several boxes of baking soda in my pantry. Baking soda is cheap, safe, and can be used for almost everything. Take a look at my
Top 25 ways to use baking soda
1. Natural teeth whitener – Baking soda is much cheaper and more effective than pricey store bought whiteners! Compare the results of $1 baking soda to a $30 whitener! There isn’t much of a difference, plus you avoid using harsh, synthetic ingredients.
2. Relaxing foot soak – Baking soda naturally helps soothe sore muscles and tired feet. I have a foot bath, however, you can just fill a bucket or bowl with water if you don’t have one.
3. Freshen up your fridge – Leave a box in your fridge to mask any scents. This helps diminish any strong food odors.
4. Add to the litter box– Add a cup or so to your cat litter box to freshen it up naturally. This really helps eliminate any strong odor.
5. Natural exfoliator – Baking soda works great as a gentle, cheap face scrub. Just rub a little on gently to buff away imperfections. I find that it works just as well as pricey scrubs and microdermabrasion.
6. Laundry booster – Add a cup or so in with your laundry for a budget booster. It works well at getting out tough stains.
7. Tea stain remover – Scrub the soda on hard to clean stained coffee or tea mugs. This is one of the only techniques besides vinegar which has worked well for me. I can’t stand tea and coffee stains on my mugs!
8. Soften skin– Add a cup to your bath water for smooth, silky skin. It also works well as a detox agent, helping to draw toxins out. Plus, you feel fresh after a soak with baking soda.
9.Natural cleanser – Mix in a spray bottle with water for a natural, affordable all purpose cleaner. It works just as well as store brought brands, with the added benefit of no harsh chemicals and strong unnatural scents.
10. Get rid of unpleasant orders – It works great for covering up bad odors (garbage cans, etc.)
11. Remove stubborn stains – Mix together a baking soda/water paste and scrub with a toothbrush to remove hard to reach and stubborn stains. This technique works especially well for bathrooms.
12. Replace Drano – Use instead of expensive drain de-cloggers for the same results. Pour baking soda down your sink, let sit for 10 minutes, then flush with hot water.
13, Natural bathroom disinfectant – Clean your shower and toilet with a non-toxic, but effective baking soda scrub.
14. Heartburn relief– A few tsp in a glass of water will help to neutralize the acids in your stomach.
15. Freshen breath – Neutralize odors in your mouth by gargling with the soda/water mixture.
16. Relieve itching– Relieve itching naturally by soaking in a bath with a cup of baking soda.
17. Get over a cold – Make your cold go away faster by soaking in a bath with a cup of baking soda. Not to mention relaxing in the tub by itself does wonders for reducing stress and getting over illnesses faster.
18. Clarify your scalp– Naturally remove buildup from your scalp with a baking soda/apple cider vinegar or water mixture. Much cheaper than pricey salon products and just as effective.
19. Remove oil buildup– Buildup of oil on items like brushes and combs can effectively be removed by soaking these items in a baking soda/water mixture.
20. Soften cuticles – Enjoy great looking nails by soaking your hands in a water/baking soda mixture. This also helps soften nails before trimming. I always soak my nails before attempting to cut them.
21. Get rid of dyes – Dyes from hair color products, Easter egg coloring, paints, etc. can be removed by scrubbing baking soda on the spots – very effective! This is the only way to get Easter Egg dyes off your hands and clothes!
22.Remove splinters– Splinters can naturally be removed from hands or feet. Soak the areas with the splinter to help draw it out.
23. Natural deodorant – Put a small amount under arms instead of using pricey,chemical laced store deodorants. You can mix with a little water until you reach you desired consistency.
24. Detox drink– Drink a tsp of baking soda mixed with water for overall body detoxification. Baking soda balances your pH.
25. Scrub pans – Soak pans with hot water and baking soda to cut through grease and caked on stains. Great idea after making hard to clean caked on casserole pans. Fill it up right after dinner and let it sit for a half hour or so…you will thank yourself later!
Now you have 25 different ways to use that box of baking soda sitting in your kitchen…and it only cost you a buck!
Have you tried any of the solutions above? What are some of your favorite ways to use baking soda?