Practical ways to live better on less.
Only have 10 bucks to spend this weekend? You still have options! We often mistakenly equate summer fun with expensive trips and pricey attractions. Oftentimes, the most fun summer activities happen to be those that cost the least. Don’t focus solely on pricey tourist attractions and vacations! Check out my list of 10 fun activities you can do for under ten bucks!
1. Find a discount movie theater – If you are willing to wait a few extra weeks, you can see the same movie at your local second run theater. These movies cost only a few bucks – usually $3 at most. Often, you get additional discounts for matinees. Also, check the website for special weekly promotions i.e. “Dollar Tuesdays.” Browse this Cinema Treasures website to find a discount theater near you.
2. Find a homemade ice cream shop – Nothing tastes better on a hot summer’s day than an ice cream cone, especially a fresh homemade treat. Cool off and treat yourself to a delicious ice cream cone for under $10! If you can’t find one, opt for a self-serve frozen yogurt shop. If you are lactose intolerant or vegan, head over to Jamba Juice for an all fruit smoothie – they are delicious!
3. Head over for a night of games at your nearest Dave and Busters – I love Dave & Buster’s! Yes you can spend a lot of money, but you don’t have to go overboard. Sign up for the Dave and Busters Rewards Card and you will receive an email coupon for $10 in free game play! This is easily at least an hour of fun! Add an extra $10 and you have $20 worth of game play for only $10!
4. Bowl a few games – Bowling can be expensive, so you have to do your research. Most often you can sign up for your local bowling alley’s email club and get a game or 2 free. Also, be on the lookout for special promotions and summer coupons.Weekdays in the summer are often home to Dollar Bowling Days.
5. Plan a picnic – Grab your cooler, pick up a few snacks, and head over to your town park or beach. For under $10 you can spend the whole day relaxing and enjoying nature.
6. Attend free/cheap local events– Find out when free concerts/fairs are coming to your city. You can spend the whole afternoon/evening out without spending any money (besides a meal or a few snacks). Check local newspapers, Zevents, and your local Chamber of Commerce site.
7. Take a bike ride – Look up a paved bike path in your town, ride around a park, or make up your own creative route. This free, fun summer activity has an added bonus: you get a great leg and butt workout!
8. Go swimming – If you don’t have your own pool, you can use a community pool or gym pool for under $10. Cool off for a few hours without breaking the bank at a pricey water-park!
9. Have a party– Host a party with your family and close friends at your house. Make it a potluck so everyone can bring their own creative dish. Having a potluck will help you ensure that the party stays budget friendly.
10. Hike or take a nature walk – Sometimes the best things in life really are free. Walking around a local forest, park, or nature center allows you to get in a workout, be in tune with nature, take photography, and observe wildlife – all at no cost!
What are your favorite budget summer activities? Share some of your favorite $10 and under activities!